Star Wars Rebels Premiere Sets Ratings Record for Disney XD
Rebels gained 1.03 million viewers for its debut on Disney XD. It became the highest rated animated series debut in Disney XD’s history. Previous to that, the series earned 6.5-million viewers during its premieres on Disney Channel and Disney XD around the world. Congratulations to the cast and crew for an impressive accomplishment!
That said, I still wish Rebels was on a more accessible channel, like the Disney Channel or ABC. I have no doubt those ratings would have been much higher if the series had debuted via another channel.
To read more about the details, visit The Wrap.
Spark of Rebellion with a New Scene Featuring Darth Vader Coming to ABC
Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion will air on Sunday, October 26, at 7pm ET/PT with a special surprise. According to executive producer Dave Filoni, “We wanted to do something special for the ABC broadcast. We’ve added a scene which gives audiences insight into the Inquisitor and includes a cameo by Darth Vader voiced by the distinguished actor James Earl Jones.”
Star Wars Rebels Theme Remix
English DJ and dubstep producer Flux Pavilion gave the Star Wars Rebels theme song a modern twist, entitled “The Ghost Remix.” In late September, a YouTube user uploaded Flux playing the song at Toronto’s Safe in Sound Festival. The song also has its own music video with Star Wars Rebels footage. You can officially download the song through iTunes.
“It was an absolute honour to be a part of the new Star Wars project and working with Kevin Kiner’s original score was a dream. I tried to take the piece to a place it might never have gone before and working alongside the team building the project has been inspiring, not just as an artist but also as a huge fan of the Star Wars universe. Long live the Republic!” (PRNewswire)
Trailer: “This Season on Star Wars Rebels“
Many awesome and amazing things are headed our way this season on Star Wars Rebels. The latest trailer shows glimpses of Zare Leonis and much more. Check it out!
Fangirls Going Rogue Interviews Amy Beth Christenson
Fangirls Going Rogue‘s Teresa Delgado and Tricia Barr interviewed Star Wars artist Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and The Force Unleashed). Christenson spoked about how she first started working at Lucasfilm, her passion for Star Wars, her role as part of the crew behind Star Wars Rebels, her experience with Her Universe’s Fashion Show at San Diego Comic Con, and much more!
Read the entire interview at FANgirl Blog.
Skottie Young Comic Book Variants
One of my favorite Marvel comic book artists and children’s book illustrator, Skottie Young, has joined the long list of amazing talent involved in Star Wars projects. We recently got to see a first look at Young’s interlocking variant covers for the three Star Wars comic book series coming out next year.
“Like most people my age, I spent a good part of my childhood playing with ‘Star Wars’ toys for hours on end. I cried like a baby when I realized I left my wampa figure on the radiator and his leg melted half off. Flash forward years later and I get to be a little (pun absolutely intended) part of the ‘Star Wars’ universe by creating my take on these covers. It’s surreal. Also, I’ve shared that wampa story before and fans actually bring me wampa figures to cons. This is my life!” (MTV News)
“Droids in Distress” Gallery and “Rebels Recon”
Following the premiere of each Star Wars Rebels episode, the episode guide becomes available at StarWars.com as well as the latest “Rebels Recon” episode. The episode guide includes the episode, trivia, and concept art galleries.
Spark of Rebellion‘s “A Look Ahead” Trailer
The Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion DVD included the “A Look Ahead” trailer that was previously shown at San Diego Comic-Con 2014. This particular version, however, contains added footage from future episodes.
Young Axel of Rogue Rebels created his own short Star Wars Rebels podcast. He provides opinions about the characters and his take on Spark of Rebellion. Along with his awesome family, he also cosplays as Ezra Bridger. Make sure to tune in to his brief report at the Rogue Rebels Facebook Page and support a young podcaster in the making!
Jumping Into Hyperspace Theories: A New Podcast
Join Tricia Barr, editor and storytelling collaborator B.J. Priester, and FANgirl contributor Kay in a brand new podcast about Star Wars speculation, spoilers and storytelling from FANgirl Blog. The first episode introduces the goals of the podcast: “To share our speculations based on the evidence and inferences we have available, to learn a lot about storytelling along the way, and most of all to have a lot of fun with Star Wars.”
Visit FANgirl Blog to listen to the first episode and stay tuned for more in the near future.
Verizon FiOS WATCH Disney XD Star Wars Rebels Sweepstakes
If you’re a Verizon FiOS subscriber, you have the opportunity to enter a Star Wars Rebels sweepstakes. You could win a grand prize trip for four to Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, CA, a guided tour, passes to major theme parks in the area, a $1,000 gift card, and plenty more! Visit Verizon for more details and the chance to win other prizes.
While you’re at it, also enter the YAHOO! TV contest to win a Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion DVD.
Star Wars Rebels Artists Voyage to Skywalker Ranch for Inspiration
The Lucasfilm archive at Skywalker Ranch has every prop, costume, painting, and other material from Lucasfilm’s cinematic productions from Star Wars to Red Tails.
Kilian Plunkett admits he’ll use any excuse to drive 45 minutes north from his San Francisco office and poke around. As art director for the animated series “Star Wars Rebels,” which debuted [October 3] on the Disney Channel, he’s finding plenty of reasons to make the trip.
At the moment, he holds in his hands an 18-by-41-centimeter piece of cinematic history: one of artist Ralph McQuarrie’s gouache concept paintings for the original “Star Wars” trilogy.
Read more at the LA Times.
Star Wars Rebels: An Interview with Freddie Prinze Jr.
The latest featurette contains an interview with Kanan Jarrus himself, Freddie Prinze Jr. He discusses playing Kanan, the process of voice acting, and how the series appeals to Star Wars fans of all ages.
Q&A: Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni
The San Francisco Chronicle recently interviewed Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni. Filoni spoke about how Star Wars influenced him at a young age, working on Star Wars Rebels, the appearance of classic characters, the collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, and much more.
Read the rest of the interview here.
Vanessa Marshall on What’s Next – NYCC 2014
IGN interviewed Vanessa Marshall at New York Comic Con 2014. The topics of discussion included Hera’s role in the series, the darkness of the era, where she would like her character to go, Hera’s background, and more!
James Earl Jones to Receive the Voice Arts Icon Award
Best recognized as the voice of Darth Vader, James Earl Jones will receive the Voice Arts Icon Award at the Voice Arts Awards Gala. Taking place at the Museum of the Moving Image on November 9, the 1st Annual Awards Gala seeks to celebrate achievements in the voiceover industry. Visit That’s Voiceover! for more information.
Star Wars Rebels Arrives in Mexico
Artists took to the floors of a local mall to promote the premiere of Star Wars Rebels in Mexico. The result is quite stunning!
Dave Filoni’s Keynote Speech at MIPCOM & MIPJunior 2014
Dave Filoni recently spoke at a conference in Palais des Festivals, Cannes, France.
“When Disney Channels Worldwide President and Chief Creative Officer Gary Marsh combines forces with Lucasfilm’s Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) the result is galactic. Join them for a look at Star Wars Rebels the latest in Star Wars storytelling and take a journey through the unique creative process behind the phenomenon that continues to entertain audiences worldwide.”
LEGO Ezra in Space
Two little boys and a team of specialists help LEGO Ezra reach space in this Star Wars Rebels UK advertisement.
Taylor Gray Talks About Star Wars Rebels with Radio Disney
In a short interview with Radio Disney, Taylor Gray talks about Star Wars Rebels sound effects and what he and the other actors do to bring those sounds to life. [On a side note, based on what the host said, Wookiees and Ewoks aren’t girly or just meant for girls, they’re meant to be loved by both genders. I really appreciate that Taylor brought up the fact that there are two strong female characters, despite the host not really picking up on that. Also, women have as much talent as men when it comes to voice acting and making sound effects–it’s not just a boys’ thing.]
Steve Blum’s Behind-The-Scenes Photo
Steve Blum, the voice of Zeb Orrelios in Star Wars Rebels, shared this behind-the-scenes photo with the fans.
Steve Blum (@blumspew) October 16, 2014
Dan Brooks Interviews Simon Kinberg at StarWars.com
All three parts of Dan Brooks’ interview with Rebels executive producer Simon Kinberg about the development of the series are available at StarWars.com.
Latest official Star Wars videos added to YouTube:
- Star Wars Rebels: NYCC Exclusive Clip
- Star Wars Rebels: “Join Hera and Sabine” TV Spot
- Star Wars Rebels: “A New Battle” TV Spot
- Star Wars Rebels: “Igniting a Legacy” Featurette
- Star Wars Rebels: “Hera and Sabine, Alone in the Dark”
- Star Wars Rebels: “Kanan vs. The Inquisitor” Clip 2
TWG’s NYCC Coverage:
- Details about Kanan and Hera Discussed at NYCC 2014 | Making Star Wars
- The Star Wars Rebels Panel at New York Comic Con 2014 | Making Star Wars
- Fangirls Sporting Her Universe at NYCC 2014, Plus Cosplays! | Fangirl Next Door
- NYCC 2014: “End Bullying” Responding to Cruelty in Our Culture | Fangirl Next Door
- NYCC 2014: The Mary Sue Presents – Strong Female Characters | Fangirl Next Door
- Star Wars Themed Merchandise at NYCC 2014 | Star Wars Report
- Her Universe Halloween Photo Contest
- Sneak Peek at Darth Vader Earrings From Her Universe | Star Wars Report
- Her Universe Turns #WheresGamora On Its Head | Legion of Leia
Podcasts to listen to:
- 10-8-14 Now, This Is Podcasting! Episode 51 | Making Star Wars
- Rebels Reactions: “Spark of Rebellion” (53) | Coffee With Kenobi
- Episode 24 – Rebels Plans | Far Far Away Radio
- ForceCast #325: Rebels in the Empire State | TheForce.net
- Episode 50: Goodbye Saturday Morning Cartoons | Skywalking Through Neverland
- Season 1 Episode 1: Droids in Distress | Rebels Report
Other sites to visit:
- The Ronto Roundup: New York Comic Con, Star Wars: Battle Pod and MORE!!! by Daniel Berry | Dorkside of the Force
- 5 Ways ‘Rebels’ Is Restoring Faith for ‘Star Wars’ Fans by Robert Chan | YAHOO! TV
- ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Delivers 6.5 Million Viewers on Disney Channel and Disney XD Around the World by Amanda Kondolojy | TV By The Numbers
A Selection of Star Wars Rebels Blogger Interviews:
- Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar | Save More Spend Less with Heidi
- Interview with Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar | Generations of Savings
- From Wolf Pack to Rebels – A Spark of Rebellion is born! | The Mommy Bunch
- Star Wars Rebels Behind the Scenes Sneak Peak & Free Printables | Making It All Work
- My Interview with Freddie Prinze Jr. & Dave Filoni | She Saved
- Star Wars Rebels Interview With Freddie Prinze Jr. and Dave Filoni | Desert Chica
- Freddie Prinze Jr and Dave Filoni Talk Star Wars Rebels | Trippin’ With Tara
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion | Blogging Mom of 4
- Vanessa & Tiya Embody Remarkable Female Role Models in Star Wars Rebels | Whirlwind of Surprises
- Talking with Vanessa Marshall & Tiya Sircar | The Bragging Mommy
- Interview with Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar | Mom Blog Society
- Interview with Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar | Guide4Moms.com
- Interview with Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar | Saving 4 Five
- The Women of Star Wars Rebels | Mommy Saving Parent
- Entrevista con Vanessa Marshall y Tiya Sircar | Disneylandia al Día
- Entrevista con Freddie Prinze Jr y Dave Filoni | Disneylandia al Día
- Vanessa Marshall and Tiya Sircar Are Female Voices Behind Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion | Celebrate Woman Today
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion Interviews: Vanessa Marshall & Tiya Sircar | See Mom Click
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion Interviews: Freddie Prinze Jr. & Dave Filoni | See Mom Click