Television: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels
Congratulations to the Star Wars: The Clone Wars cast and crew for earning seven Daytime Creative Arts Emmy nominations, taking the lead in the animation categories. The winners will be announced on Sunday, April 26. This year, they’re nominated for:
- Outstanding Special Class Animated Program
- Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program (Mark Hamill as Darth Bane)
- Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program (Writer: Christian Taylor)
- Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program (Supervising Director: Dave Filoni; Directors: Brian Kalin O’Connell, Danny Keller, Steward Lee)
- Outstanding Sound Mixing in Animation (Production Mixer: Cameron Davis; Re-Recording Mixer: David Acord Foley; Mixer: Frank Rinella; Scoring Mixer: Mark Evans)
- Outstanding Sound Editing in Animation (Supervising Sound Editor: Matthew Wood; Sound Designer: David Acord; Music Editor: Dean Menta; Sound Editors: Jeremy Bowker, Steve Slanec; Foley Editors: Andrea Gard, Kevin Sellers; Foley Artists: Dennie Thorpe, Jana Vance)
- Outstanding Music Direction and Composition (Composer: Kevin Kiner)
According to TV by the Numbers over at Zap2it, “Star Wars Rebels reached an impressive 33 million Total Viewers across Disney XD and Disney Channel, including 8.1 million Kids 6-11 and 4.4 million Boys 6-11, representing over one-third of all Boys 6-11 in the U.S.”
Zen Studios will be releasing a Star Wars Pinball: Star Wars Rebels game and will be available on a variety of platforms during the week of April 27, 2015. Visit the announcement for more information.
Freddie Prinze, Jr., teased the fans about a mysterious detail concerning Kanan’s character.
Freddie Prinze Jr (@RealFPJr) April 03, 2015
For the upcoming book Star Wars Epic Yarns by Jack and Holman Wang, read up on the behind-the-scenes look recently posted at the Chronicle Books blog. Also, check out this interview I had with the authors over at Making Star Wars as well as their roundup of news over at their personal site, including the behind-the-scenes video released by StarWars.com. Finally, make sure to visit Star Wars Kidscast for Chris’ review of the books.
Jason Fry updated fans with the status of the fourth Servants of the Empire junior novel, “Just sent off the manuscript for Servants of the Empire #4. I’m going to miss writing Zare, Merei and friends. They’ve been good company.”
Star Wars fangirl, author and scholar Natacha Guyot will be doing a virtual book tour for her nonfiction book, A Galaxy of Possibilities: Representation and Storytelling in Star Wars. Visit her site for more information and how to sign up!
The description for Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure now contains an additional detail, “Luke Skywalker returns for an all-new adventure in this thrilling upper middle grade novel. Set between Star Wars: A New Hope and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, the story finds Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, and R2-D2 stranded on a mysterious planet, and explores a dangerous duel between Luke and a strange new villain. Hidden in the story are also clues and hints about the upcoming film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, making this a must-read for fans old and new!” Visit Club Jade for blurbs of the other known books.
Jedi-Bibliothek has a detailed canon timeline for fans looking to keep track of current canon material.
The DK US Twitter account will be engaging fans in a series of trivia questions throughout April. Make sure to follow and participate!
DK US (@dkpublishing) April 06, 2015
StarWars.com released a sneak preview of Darth Vader #4. In it, we see Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra on Geonosis, where the Clone Wars began.
Right: E.V. Kwun (@geektrooper) custom painted a pair of converse sneakers for fangirl Amy Ratcliffe. They feature Ahsoka Tano and Chopper from Star Wars Rebels and look so awesome! Check out Kwun’s Pinterest gallery for more pictures.
Left: Since toy companies are slow in producing figures we actually want, Darth Daddy went ahead and created a custom Zare Leonis action figure.
Right: Star Wars fan Jacob Dziubek used fuse beads to create the cast of Star Wars Rebels.
Left: After reading Kanan: The Last Padawan #1, lorna-ka (who was previously featured in our Fan Artist Spotlight) drew another wonderful piece of art, capturing the camaraderie between Kanan and clone troopers Grey and Styles.
StarWars.com recently showed a sneak peek of the exclusive merchandise that will be sold at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim. Although it’s just a preview, I hope to see more products featuring the prequel movies at the event.
Star Wars fan artist lorna-ka has a Society6 page, and if you’re looking to purchase Star Wars Rebels prints/shirts, there is free worldwide shipping until April 12. Click here for the promo link.
Ashley also gave fans a sneak peek at more products from the new Her Universe Star Wars collection that will debut at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, including the Cloud City dress and Ahsoka Lives purple variant.
In the latest episode of Hyperspace Theories, B.J. Priester, Tricia Barr and Kay discuss the career and contributions of executive producer Dave Filoni as well as where you can find him at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim. Listen to the episode here.
The hosts at Full of Sith talked to Greg Weisman about Star Wars Rebels, Kanan: The Last Padawan, and much more. Listen to the episode here.
Freddie Prinze, Jr., joined Coffee With Kenobi in Rebels Reaction to discuss the highlights of the first season of Star Wars Rebels and what’s in store for season two. CWK also spoke to Star Wars Insider editor Jonathan Wilkins in the latest Book Chat.
Catrina Dennis published the first episode of Mos Eisley Comic Port, a new podcast dedicated to the various comic book titles of the Star Wars universe. Listen to the first episode here.
Steve Sansweet talked to Star Wars Report about Star Wars Celebration Anaheim as well as his experiences with past Celebrations. Listen to the episode here.
Greg Weisman is currently running a Kickstarter campaign for his novel, Rain of the Ghosts. The goal is to create an audio book with a crew of talented voice actors, such as Steve Blum (Zeb Orrelios), Vanessa Marshall (Hera Syndulla), Brent Spiner (Gall Trayvis), Bryton James (Zare Leonis), and many more. Support the project with a donation or by sharing with friends and family. Also, read up on this interview over at Nerdist.
Disney Parks Blog released the guest list for Star Wars Weekends 2015 and there’s an exciting lineup for all fans attending the annual event!
- Weekend I (May 15 – 17): Ian McDiarmid (Senator/Emperor Palpatine), Amy Allen (Aayla Secura), Tiya Sircar (Sabine Wren)
- Weekend II (May 22 – 24): Warwick Davis (Wald, Wicket W. Warrick), Silas Carson (Ki-Adi-Mundi, Nute Gunray), Vanessa Marshall (Hera Syndulla)
- Weekend III (May 29 – 31): Warwick Davis (Wald, Wicket W. Warrick), Daniel Logan (Boba Fett), Steve Blum (Zeb Orrelios)
- Weekend IV (June 5 – 7): Ray Park (Darth Maul), Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano)
- Weekend V (June 12 – 14): Frank Oz (Yoda), Ray Park (Darth Maul), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Taylor Gray (Ezra Bridger)
The Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Art Show pre-sale began on March 30. Visit FANgirl Blog for additional details on where to purchase the prints.
Roqoo Depot sorted out the Star Wars Celebration Anaheim panels into helpful categories, such Podcast Stage, Book/Author Panels, Comic Panels, and more!
The StarWars.com staff shared a special edition video of the top ten Star Wars Celebration moments.
Find me, Adam Bray, and the awesome hosts of Rebels Report, Andy and Pete, on the Podcast Stage on Thursday, April 16, at 1pm. You can also find me chatting it up with Fangirls Going Rogue on Saturday and at the “From a Certain Point of View” panel on Sunday. Looking forward to sharing these awesome experiences with great Star Wars fans!
Links: Articles, Roundups
- A Galaxy of Possibilities: Discussing Character Writing, Diversity, Star Wars and Fandom–End of First Series by Natacha Guyot
- Around the Web: April 3, 2015 by Skuldren for Roqoo Depot
- Guest Post–A Feminist Star Wars Fangirl by Natacha Guyot (via Y.I. Washington)
- #SciFi Women Interviews: Johnamarie Macias by Natacha Guyot
- Star Wars HoloNet Digest No. 89: March 18 – April 1 by Megan Crouse