The TWG roundup continues with heaps of Star Wars related news and information from the past few months (April, May, and June 2015). Part II of this roundup includes a roundup of fan creations, interviews, podcasts, and other news.
From left to right:
- Instagram user PrettyFuzzy created by hand an Ahsoka Tano doll made of polymer clay.
- Plushie designer and Instagram user StuffItUpPlushies constructed an Ahsoka Tano plushie based on her design from Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Expert cross-stitcher ParvumAutomaton made a design of Captain Rex and added to the caption that she can’t wait to see him in Star Wars Rebels.
- Maria Heid takes beadwork to a whole new level with her Ahsoka Tano bracelet. Find more of her Star Wars bead creations over at Instagram.
- Ariesgurumi strikes again with another adorable amigurumi design, this time of Star Wars Rebels pilot Hera Syndulla.
From left to right:
- Photographer and graphic designer Christopher Pasatieri created a custom Star Wars Rebels cardback for Hera Syndulla. Find his interview about the project over at From 4-LOM to Zuckuss.
- Yakface.com made a custom Stormtrooper Kanan Jarrus figure based on his disguise from the season two premiere, “Took me about 5 minutes to do. Boil and pop the heads, trim the neck posts, drill out Trooper’s neck, assemble, done!”
- Michael, also known as MGF Customs, designed a beautiful Star Wars Rebels LEGO figure of Ahsoka Tano.
- House Organa Shop has new and lovely Star Wars Rebels designs over at Redbubble. Find a summary of the new items here.
One of my favorite concepts to come out of Star Wars Celebration Anaheim was the Ahsoka Tano loyalist trooper. Ryan Kidd took that idea and custom-painted two clone troopers. The trooper on the left bears the Ahsoka Tano facial markings on his helmet, while the trooper on the right has the signature blue and white stripes scattered throughout the armor.
- Amy Ratcliffe interviewed Dave Filoni about Star Wars Rebels, Darth Vader, Ahsoka, Clone Wars, and more over at The Nerdist.
- IGN interviewed Ashley Eckstein about how Ahsoka has changed and whether she’d survive a fight against Darth Vader. Also interviewed by IGN at Star Wars Celebration: Steve Blum, Taylor Gray, Vanessa Marshall, Tiya Sircar, Dee Bradley Baker, and Dave Filoni.
- Eric Geller also interviewed the Star Wars Rebels cast at Star Wars Celebration.
- The Wolfpack Podcast and other bloggers/podcasters spoke to Ashley Eckstein and Freddie Prinze, Jr., at Star Wars Celebration. Tosche Station also has audio for the Ashley Eckstein interview. Additionally, Cinelix has a great writeup of Ashley’s thoughts of Ahsoka in season two of Star Wars Rebels.
- Tosche Station sat down with author Jason Fry and talked about the Servants of the Empire books as well as his own series, Jupiter Pirates.
- Lucas Siegel interviewed Simon Kinberg about Star Wars Rebels.
- Roqoo Depot spoke to author Christie Golden about her upcoming novel, Dark Disciple.
- Click On This Show interviewed Daniel Logan at Sundance 2015, while the Boba Fett Fan Club interviewed Logan at Star Wars Celebration.
- Review of the NERDS recorded a Q&A with Daniel Logan and Ray Park at Steel City Con. Earlier in the month, Techno Warriors grabbed a few words from Logan at Salt Lake Comic Con.
- Find a collection of interviews with Hasbro, LEGO, and more over at the Star Wars Report.
- Listen to Amy Ratcliffe talk about Ahsoka Lives Day with the Assembly of Geeks podcast.
- Podcast 66 recorded an interview with Greg Weisman.
- Pete Morrison interviewed Neil Kleid, design director for Topps Digital. Find the interview at Rebels Report.
- Lucas Siegel published an interview with Vanessa Marshall and Steve Blum regarding the intensity behind season two of Star Wars Rebels.
- Legion of Leia spoke to the women of Star Wars Rebels, Tiya Sircar and Vanessa Marshall.
- Ashley Eckstein joined Coffee with Kenobi for an interview.
- Podcast 66 interviewed the very talented Kevin Kiner in a special episode for Star Wars Day and Freddie Prinze, Jr.
- /Film’s Germain Lussier spoke with Dave Filoni and Simon Kinberg about a variety of topics in season two of Star Wars Rebels.
- Geek Bomb interviewed Star Wars fangirl Becs Blondsaurus about her online shop.
- I interviewed Joe Hogan about the fan-made comic Clone Wars: Resolutions. Find it over at MakingStarWars.net.
- The Orlando Business Journal interviewed Ashley Eckstein at the start of Star Wars Weekends.
- Find a collection of Vanity Fair interviews about Star Wars: The Force Awakens over at FANgirl Blog.
- Dan Brooks spoke with Lucasfilm’s Hez Chorba and Avalanche Software’s Jeff Bunker about the making of Star Wars Rebels toys for Disney Infinity 3.0 over at StarWars.com, while Anthony Gallegos strolled down memory lane with Brett Douville about making Star Wars: Republic Commando.
- The Main Street Mouse’s Teen Perspective interviewed Ashley Eckstein at Star Wars Weekends.
- USA Today had an exclusive video of Ashley Eckstein and Dave Filoni about Ahsoka’s return to Star Wars Rebels.
- Den of Geek’s Megan Crouse interviewed author Christie Golden about her upcoming novel Dark Disciple. Golden also spoke to Bombad Radio and Far Far Away Radio.
- Book View Now had a chat with authors Alexandra Bracken, Adam Gidwitz, and Tom Angleberger at Book Con 2015.
- The 602 Club spoke with Nic Anastassiou about working on Star Wars: The Clone Wars as an editor.
- Fangirls Going Rogue interviewed Tiya Sircar as well as Steve Blum and Daniel Logan.
- The Wolfpack Podcast never disappoint with the amount of content they bring to fans. They recently interviewed Ashley Eckstein, Taylor Gray, Steve Blum, and Freddie Prinze, Jr. The gang also had author Adam Bray as a special guest.
- Make sure to check out ForceCast.net‘s interviews with Kevin Yost as well as Alexander Freed and Kevin Warren Johnson.
- The Daily Dot’s Lisa Granshaw recently spoke to Ashley Eckstein about Her Universe’s 5th Anniversary.
- Victoria McNally at MTV interviewed Dave Filoni about Sabine’s new look.
Star Wars Rebels
The second season premiere of Star Wars Rebels aired Saturday, June 20. With the rest of the second season coming out later in the fall, make sure to watch Rebels Recon and catch a glimpse of the next episode “The Lost Commanders”.
If you need to catch up with the first season of Star Wars Rebels, make sure to sit down and watch Star Wars Rebels: The Ultimate Guide narrated by Kanan himself. When you’re done with that, check out Disney Insider‘s episode ranking of the first season. And of course, if you’re all caught up, complement the experience by browsing through the latest episode guide for “The Siege of Lothal”.
If you’d like to bring the Ghost crew’s adventures home with you, the complete Star Wars Rebels season one DVD/Blu-Ray will be released on September 1, 2015.
DVD Bonus Features include (1) Rebels Recon: 14 behind-the-scenes featurettes, (2) Star Wars Rebels – The Ultimate Guide, (3) Star Wars Rebels Season Two – A Look Ahead
Blu-ray Bonus Features include (1) Rebels Infiltrates Star Wars Celebration (Exclusive to Blu-ray), (2) Season One shorts: “The Machine in the Ghost,” “Art Attack,” “Entanglement,” “Property of Ezra Bridger”, (3) All DVD Bonus (see above)
Rebels Report got a tip about possible Star Wars Rebels season two concept art of a location known as Takobo City. Could this be where Rex and the clones are located? Click here to read more about the theory. Also, make sure to check out Pete Morrison’s latest writeup about Sabine Wren and the Phoenix Squadron.
Kevin Kiner released the Star Wars Rebels soundtrack over at his personal website.
Screenwriter Gary Whitta (Rogue One) revealed that he is writing content for Star Wars Rebels.
Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) May 26, 2015
Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) June 05, 2015
Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) June 08, 2015
Asajj Ventress, the evil Sith warrior from Star Wars: The Clone Wars, takes center stage as she stars in an all-new tale!
Plus, we look back on her life and times! With the first episode of the second season of Star Wars Rebels debuting at Star Wars Celebration 2015, we tease the new season and talk to the cast.
With Star Wars topping the comic charts, we look at Marvel’s new series and how it came to smash records!
Plus, the countdown to The Force Awakens continues! Available in Newsstand and PREVIEWS Exclusive cover editions.
Earlier this month, Jason Fry submitted his last edits for the final novel (The Secret Academy) in the Servants of the Empire series, a companion to the animated show. With the second season premiering later in the fall, make sure to catch up with Zare’s part of the story.
The last issue of the first arc of Kanan: The Last Padawan will be released on September 23, 2015.
The solicitation notes include:
• A tale from the time of Rebels!
• No longer a Padawan, the adult Kanan finds himself back on the planet Kaller…
• Will his past as Caleb Dume return to haunt him?
Greg Weisman will continue to write the second arc of the ongoing series. No word on whether Pepe Larraz will also join him, but it looks like Jacopo Camagni is joining the team as the penciller.
Find my latest review of Kanan: The Last Padawan #3 and make sure to pick up the next issue on July 22, 2015.
Finally, Dave Filoni shared a photo recently via social media, “Celebrating the final ensemble record for the second season of Rebels.” Looking forward to what season two has in store!
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Remember when Ashley Eckstein, Matt Lanter, and James Arnold Taylor were in the recording studio a few months ago? Turns out, they were recording for Disney Infinity 3.0. Missed out on all of the coverage, video interviews, and featurettes? Visit Game Informer for a detailed list of behind-the-scenes content.
Dark Disciple by Christie Golden comes out July 7, 2015. To prepare yourself, make sure to re-watch the episodes related to fan favorite character Asajj Ventress. Leland Chee lays out the episodes to watch in the following tweet:
Leland Chee (@HolocronKeeper) March 11, 2014
Also, make sure to download the 2015 Star Wars Books Sampler (as seen below) from your favorite online bookstore. In it, you’ll find the first chapter of Dark Disciple and the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company by Alexander Freed.
Star Wars Insider issue 159 will have a brand new short story by Christie Golden and illustrated by Magali Villeneuve. The story will act as a prequel to Dark Disciple, featuring a new character called Lassa.
Angela Lanter had husband Matt Lanter pretty her up for her makeup video tutorial series. It’s quite hilarious!
Links: Articles, Reviews, Roundups
Blog Posts and Articles
- Consequences – The Fate of Those Who Rebel by Ben Wahrman and Jay Shah, Eleven-ThirtyEight
- Fangirls Around the Web: April 2015 by TWG, Star Wars Report
- Inside the Star Wars generation gap: Why we still care about Mara Jade by Dunc, Club Jade
- Linda’s Star Wars Celebration Anaheim Fan Interviews: FANgirl Staff by Linda Hansen-Raj, FANgirl Blog
- Ralph McQuarrie’s Concepts Live Forever by Savanna Kiefer, The Dorky Diva
- Star Wars and Steampunk: Universes Collide! by Jay Krebs, Coffee With Kenobi
- Star Wars Memories from Our Favorite Geek Celebs, Friends and Writers by Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia
- Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Just Took Things to a Whole New Level by Geek Girl Diva, EW Community
- Star Wars: The State of the Galaxy by Eric Geller, The Daily Dot
- SWCA: ’15 Gallery by Saf Davidson, FlowerCrownJedi
- SWCA: Saf Errant by Saf Davidson, FlowerCrownJedi
- SWCA: The Kiwi Menace by Saf Davidson, ForceCult
- The Fangirl Impact on Star Wars Celebration by Scott Murray, Coffee With Kenobi
- The New Face(s) of Star Wars: Celebration Anaheim and Diversity by Jay Shah, Eleven-ThirtyEight
- Why Science Fiction Must Err on the Side of Diversity by Nanci, Tosche Station
- BB-8 Crop Top and Leggings by Lisa Granshaw, The Daily Dot
- Fangirls Around The Web: Her Universe 5th Anniversary Bash Special Edition by Tricia Barr, FANgirl Blog
- [WAYW] Lightsabers Everywhere – Her Universe by Bria, White Hot Room
- [WAYW] That was a Very Useful Tray – Star Wars Rebels by Bria, White Hot Room
- 6 of the Biggest Events from the New Star Wars Novels by Lucas Siegel
- 8 of the Coolest Moments in the Star Wars Rebels Season Two Premiere by Amy Ratcliffe
- 8 Star Wars Voice Actors Who Played Multiple Animated Characters by Adam Bray
- Star Wars Rebels: What’s in a Name? by James Burns
- Studying Skywalkers: Foils in Dark Disciple by Dan Zehr
- Around the Web: April 10, 2015
- Around the Web: April 24, 2015
- Around the Web: May 1, 2015
- Around the Web: May 8, 2015
- Around the Web: May 22, 2015
- Around the Web: May 29, 2015
- Around the Web: June 5, 2015
- Around the Web: June 12, 2015
- Around the Web: June 26, 2015
- HoloNet Digest No. 90: April 2 – April 8
- HoloNet Digest No. 91: April 8 – April 21
- HoloNet Digest No. 92: April 22 – April 29
- HoloNet Digest No. 93: April 30 – May 6
- HoloNet Digest No. 94: May 6 – May 13
- HoloNet Digest No. 95: May 13 – May 27
- HoloNet Digest No. 96: May 28 – June 3
- HoloNet Digest No. 97: June 11 – June 16
- HoloNet Digest No. 98: June 17 – June 24