During the Geek Couture Fashion show at San Diego Comic-Con 2015, Variety announced that the fashion-forward and geek chic company launched by Ashley Eckstein, Her Universe, partnered up with Lionsgate to create an original series for the Comic-Con International subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service that will kick off early next year. Fangirls flailed and congratulated Her Universe on the exciting achievement, but many remain confused as to how the Her Universe Fashion Show series will be distributed.
To better understand this announcement, here’s what you need to know about the overall picture:
- On April 9, 2015, partners Lionsgate and Comic-Con International: San Diego unveiled a new subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) online platform. It will be a year-round digital channel that will begin in the United States. It was supposed to launch later this year, according to the original press release, but the recent press release about the partnership with Her Universe states that the SVOD platform will begin early next year.
- What is SVOD? It is a type of video-on-demand service, where people subscribe and pay a regularly charged fee for unlimited access to specific video content. Netflix and Hulu are examples of SVOD providers.
- The Comic-Con International SVOD “will launch with a broad portfolio of content including original short-form content created exclusively for the channel’s subscribers (such as the Her Universe Fashion Show), films and television series from Lionsgate and other studios designed to appeal to the diverse interests of Comic-Con’s fan base as well as exclusive archived footage from Comic-Con’s 45-year history (and the archives of sister convention WonderCon).”
- Sam Gutelle at Tubefilter compared the new service to CONtv, a collaboration between independent content distributor Cinedigm and Wizard World, a producer of comic and pop culture conventions. That service already contains 2,500 hours of content. According to Todd Longwell over at VideoInk, “ConTV offers a be free, ad-supported base service, along with a $6.99/month ad-free subscription option, which gives viewers access to exclusive content.” ConTV is also available for iOS, Android, and Roku.
- On June 24, 2015, Seth Laderman was hired as the Executive Vice President and General Manager for the Comic-Con streaming service. He is responsible for developing a wide variety of programming, including the creation of short-form content exclusive to subscribers, such as the Her Universe Fashion Show.
Also, let’s take a closer look at what the Her Universe Fashion Show will be about:
- The program will be a reality series and it will be the first original content for the new SVOD service. It will follow a new group of contestants as they design and create their geek couture concepts for the 2016 Her Universe Fashion Show at San Diego Comic-Con. According to the press release, “The unscripted series will follow the designers as they are chosen for the fashion show, the joy and stress of creating their geek couture, and the pressure of the fashion show itself as they wait to learn the winning designs selected by judges and the audience.”
- Comic-Con’s Director of Marketing & Public Relations, David Glanzer, said, “Not a competition show in the traditional sense, this series will immerse viewers in the preparations, excitement and suspense leading into next year’s geek fashion competition.”
- The show will also give subscribers exclusive behind-the-scenes access to “how designers hone and practice their craft.”
- The series will be produced by Her Universe, Blondie Girl Productions, and Lionsgate. Ashley Eckstein, Ashley Tisdale (Clipped, Young and Hungry), and Jennifer Tisdale (Inner Circle) will be executive producers for the program.
It’s an exciting time to be a fangirl and geek fashion has never been more popular. As we wait for the next big update regarding the SVOD and the show itself, make sure to continue supporting Her Universe by shopping online or by visiting the company’s other partners, such as Hot Topic and ThinkGeek. Keep the geek fashion trend alive by hashtagging your Her Universe pictures with #FlauntYourWorld and continuing to nominate your favorite fangirls for Fangirl of the Day.
Check back here for more updates, and visit COMIC-CON DEMAND to submit your e-mail address and become the first to learn more details about this brand new service.