The complete programming schedule for San Diego Comic-Con 2016 is now available! Although there are no big Star Wars panels included at this year’s con, fans can keep a close eye on Star Wars Celebration Europe and D23 Expo 2017 for those type of announcements.
Listed below are panels that focus on Star Wars and other related topics.
The Dynamic World of Disney Comics
10:00am – 11:00am, Room 28DE
Disney Comics experts give you a sneak peek into how Disney’s beloved movies and TV shows are transformed into digital and print comic books. Daron Nefcy (creator and executive producer, Star vs. the Forces of Evil), Gianfranco Cordara (vice president, global magazines & new IP, Disney Publishing Worldwide), Roberto Santillo (director, art development & academia Disney), Mike Siglain (creative director, Lucasfilm Publishing), and other panelists will share new comics based on Zootopia, Finding Dory,Frozen, Star Wars, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and more.
Jakks Pacific: Insider Fan Panel
12:00pm – 1:00pm, Room 29AB
Get an exclusive first look at Jakks’ lines of action figures, collectibles, and RCs from the company’s design and marketing team. Get product development insights and exclusive previews of the JAKKS BIG-FIGS across licenses such as Star Wars, DC, TMNT, and more, and get the latest updates on the whole World of Nintendo line. Following the presentation is a fan Q&A session and prizes for attendees!
The Unsung Stuntmen and Women of the Movies
2:00pm – 3:00pm, Pacific 23, North Tower, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
The stuntmen and women from your favorite TV shows and movies discuss and answer your questions about the stunt industry. Featuring Jessie Graff (Supergirl, American Ninja Warrior), Esteban Cueto (Iron Man 2, Jungle Book), Tiger Rudge (Star Wars Episode 8), Patrick Stenberg (Jurassic World), and Brian Danner (Sword Fights Inc). Moderated by Eric Cajiuat (The Hit Girl).
Kotobukiya Summer Preview and Product Update
5:30pm – 6:30pm, Room 26AB
Join Kotobukiya for their first-ever panel at SDCC! Get a behind-the-scenes look at how their products are developed along with updates on your favorite brands. Q&A session and special giveaways.
The Core of Collecting
5:45pm – 6:45pm, Room 6DE
What makes something collectible? From scale replicas to the rising tide of tiny treasures, leading industry experts from Sideshow Collectibles, Gentle Giant, Loot Crate, Triforce, DC Collectibles, ThinkGeek, Weta Workshop Collectibles, and Dark Horse Deluxe dive into their process, reveal upcoming collectibles, and explore just how they navigate the vast sea of props, characters, vessels, and more to create the compelling collectibles we all crave. Moderated by Comic-Con HQ, this panel is a collector’s paradise with special rewards for the biggest fans and an introduction from lifelong collector, Mark Hamill.
The 501st Legion: Star Wars Villainous Costuming
8:00pm – 9:00pm, Pacific 24, North Tower, Marriott Marquis & Marina
An introduction to the creation of fan-made villain costumes from all seven Star Wars movies and beyond. Legion members from the Imperial Sands and Southern California Garrisons will provide an overview of the creative process that bring Stormtroopers, Tusken Raiders, Boba Fett, or Kylo Ren from the silver screen in to reality. Dean Amstutz (ISG membership liaison) will discuss the membership journey, from initial interest through final approval. Lesley Farquhar (ISG commanding officer) will present information on the history, organization. and mission of the 501st Legion as “Bad Guys Doing Good”! Kevin Weir (Imperial Surplus Armor, KW Designs owner) will relate his process for working with hard armor parts. Jazlynne Wilson (ISG member) will speak about soft fabric construction. Dawn Bright (Flagship Eclipse Detachment executive officer) will discuss the process and requirements for bringing a new canon costume into the Legion. Todd Mullin (ISG executive officer) moderates.
Star Wars: The Science Awakens
10:00am – 11:00am, Room 7AB
Could Lightsabers ever be a reality? How would Starkiller Base work in the real world? Which droid would NASA select for a real mission? Fon Davis (production designer, Star Wars Movies), Kim Steadman (NASA engineer, Mars Science Lab), Kieran Dickson (editor, Outerplaces), Travis Langley (editor, Star Wars Psychology), Steve Huff (fight choreographer), and moderator Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia) break down the science behind a galaxy far far away, field your burning questions and give away a prize or two.
Star Wars Publishing
11:00am – 12:00pm, Room 7AB
Get the latest info on all the new books and comics set in a galaxy far, far away! Authors, artists, and editors from Del Rey, Disney-Lucasfilm Press, Marvel, and others discuss their upcoming stories and the future of Star Wars publishing. Moderated by Lucasfilm’s Michael Siglain.
Hasbro Star Wars
12:00pm – 1:00pm Room 7AB
Members of the Hasbro team discuss the popular Hasbro Star Wars line. Attendees will get an in-depth look at Hasbro’s latest action figure offerings. Word on the Holonet is there may also be a few surprises, including a special product reveal.
Star Wars Collectibles Update with Lucasfilms’ Anita Castellar
1:00pm – 2:00pm Room 7AB
Join eFX, Gentle Giant Studios, Kotobukiya, and Sideshow Collectibles for product development insights and exclusive previews of the latest in Star Wars collectibles. Anita Castellar is a self-professed Star Wars fangirl who manages licensing for hardlines categories at Lucasfilm, such as toys, collectibles, consumer electronics, automotive, and more.
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum
7:30pm – 8:30pm, Room 24ABC
What began as the rescue of Star Trek Enterprise bridge sets in 2012 has become what will be the world’s largest Science Fiction Museum and Horror Museum. Founder Huston Huddleston and special guests unveil news, photos, and videos from their nonprofit educational 2017 World Tour. Props and special events include Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Firefly, Aliens, The Walking Dead and many more films and TV shows.
Marvel: Cup O’Joe
3:00pm – 4:00pm, Room 6A
Here is your chance for a Q&A with Marvel’s chief creative officer Joe Quesada and a no-holds-barred panel on everything Marvel. Got a question about a favorite hero? Want to hear the latest developments on Marvel’sStar Wars or Marvel NOW! titles? This panel has you covered! Featuring VP of international development C. B. Cebulski and director of content & character development Sana Amanat, along with Jason Aaron (Star Wars,Doctor Strange), Kieron Gillen (Darth Vader), and other Mighty Marvel guests.
What’s New From Del Rey Books
7:00pm – 8:00pm, Room 9
Del Rey has been publishing some of the best science fiction and fantasy since 1977. Del Rey editor Michael Braff and authors Pierce Brown (Red Rising), Indra Das (The Devourers), Jason Hough (Zero World), Sylvain Neuvel (Sleeping Giants), Scott Sigler (The Generations Trilogy), and Alan Smale (Clash of Eagles) discuss current projects and preview other books to come in 2016 and 2017 from Terry Brooks, China Mieville, Naomi Novik, Star Wars, Minecraft, StarCraft, and more.
Action Figure Insider Presents: Toy Collecting: Return of the Killer Licenses
7:30pm – 8:30pm, Room 8
It is a golden age to be a geek, with a new Star Wars movie every year, multiple Marvel movies, the cinematic DC Comics Justice League forming, and more Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-not to mention all of the TV projects like The Walking Dead, The Flash, Powers, and Arrow! With those projects come toys and collectibles! Learn how these companies are handing production and security for some of the biggest licenses of all time, how retailers are stocking them, and where collectors are going to put this avalanche of awesome new stuff! Panelists include Steven Anne (category manager, toys/licensing at Walgreens), Kevin Kiniry (vice president, creative services at DC Entertainment), Scott Neitlich (VP of marketing, Jada Toys), and Andy Otchiltree (senior manager, Global Brand Marketing, Star Wars at Hasbro).
Do You Wanna Build a Mando
11:00am – 12:00pm, Pacific 24, North Tower, Marriott Marquis & Marina
The members of Haran’galaar (San Diego chapter) and Manda’galaar (Los Angeles chapter) discuss the process of building Mandalorian armor, the application process, what happens after you’re approved, and why exactly they troop.
R2 Builders: How to Build Your Own R2-D2
12:00pm – 1:00pm, Room 30CDE
Get all of the information you need to build your own fully functional droid character from the Star Wars universe. Experienced builders share their knowledge and expertise to make your build a success.
Other notable appearances:
- Cecil Castelucci (Star Wars: Moving Target) will be in “Nerd Trivia Challenge: Author Edition” (Thursday).
- Steve Melching (Star Wars Rebels, The Clone Wars) will be in “1986: There Can Be Only One” and “Geek’s More Greatest Movies & TV Never Made: The Threequel” (Thursday).
- Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia, Most Craved) will be in “The Most Dangerous Women at Comic-Con: To Bechdel, Or Not to Bechdel” (Thursday).
- Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy, Star Wars Psychology) and Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia, Most Craved) will be in “Psychology of Cult TV Shows: Episode 3” (Thursday).
- Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Powerless, Star Wars: Rogue One) will be in “Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion’s Con Man Panel” (Friday).
- Jesse Harlin (composer – Mafia III, Star Wars: The Old Republic) will be in “Gears, Green Screens & Gaming: Behind the Scenes of Your Favorite Video Games” (Friday).
- Fon Davis (25-year veteran of miniature VFX who has worked on over 25 feature films including the Star Wars series) will be in “Mold, Resin, 3D Printing and FX Techniques” (Friday).
- Timothy Zahn (Star Wars) will be honored with an award in “The Annual International Association of Media and Tie-In Writers Awards Panel” (Friday).
- Steve Melching (X-Men: The Animated Series, Star Wars Rebels) will be in “Starting and Sustaining a Career Writing Animation” and “Inside the Writer’s Room: Pre, Production & Post, Oh My: Part Two” (Saturday).
- Ashley Eckstein (Her Universe) will be in “The Business of Geek Fashion” (Saturday).
- Rob Prior (Game of Thrones, Star Wars) will be in “Creating Universes” (Saturday).
- Phil LaMarr (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Samurai Jack, Futurama) and Georgie Kidder (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Goldie and Bear) will be in “Cartoon Voices 1” (Saturday).
- Matt Lanter (Ultimate Spider-Man, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) will be in “Timeless Pilot Screening and Q&A” (Saturday).
- Dr. Billy San Juan (Star Wars Psychology, Star Trek Psychology) and Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy, Star Wars Psychology) will be in “The Geek Shall Inherit: The Evolution of Geek Culture” (Saturday).
- Ashley Eckstein (founder, Her Universe) and Ron Corcillo (LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures) will be in “Blades of Hope: A Comic Book Celebration of Women Through Martial Arts” (Saturday).
- Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia, Star Wars Psychology) and Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy, Star Wars Psychology) will be in “Superhero Therapy” and “Captain America vs. Iron Man: Freedom, Security, Psychology” (Saturday).
- Jimmy Smits (Sons of Anarchy, Star Wars: Episodes II & III) will be in “FOX’s Action Showcase: Prison Break and 24: Legacy” (Sunday).
- Steve Melching (Star Wars Rebels, The Clone Wars) will be in “Starship Smackdown XVI: Don’t Blame It on Rio Edition” (Sunday).