San Diego Comic-Con, the mother of all comic conventions, is only a few days away! Every year, SDCC comes jam-packed with all sorts of panels and activities. Here’s a roundup of some of our favorites from this year’s convention.
- Disney-Lucasfilm Publishing: Michael Siglain (director, creative: Disney-Lucasfilm Publishing) and surprise panelists share previews and exclusive announcements about what should be on your must-read list from Star Wars publishing.
- Hasbro Star Wars: Members of the Hasbro and Lucasfilm teams will discuss the popular Hasbro Star Wars line. Attendees will get an in-depth look at Hasbro’s latest action figure offerings. Word on the Holonet is there may also be a few surprises.
- The Women of Star Wars: Authors E. K. Johnston (Star Wars: Ahsoka) and Zoraida Córdova (From a Certain Point of View) join writer Nicole Dubuc (Forces of Destiny) to discuss the impact of a more inclusive Star Wars, from the writers to the actors to the characters you know and love.
STAR WARS ANIMATION
- Celebrate the 10-Year Anniversary of Star Wars: The Clone Wars with Dave Filoni, Ashley Eckstein, Matt Lanter, Athena Portillo, and Kevin Kiner as they look back on 10 years of the Emmy Award-winning series that expanded the Star Wars universe and introduced countless fan-favorite characters to a galaxy far, far away.
- Spotlight on E. K. Johnston: E. K. Johnston (Star Wars: Ahsoka, That Inevitable Victorian Thing) talks about her career from small-town Ontario to a galaxy far, far away.
- Careers in Geek Fashion: Join moderator Lisa Granshaw (GeekFold) and panelists Sarah Buzby (Ubisoft), Allison Cimino (RockLove Jewelry), Catherine Elhoffer (Elhoffer Design), Jeff Trexler (Fashion Law Institute), and WinterArtwork as they discuss the career paths available in geek fashion, looking at the jobs within and outside of fashion companies.
- The Her Universe Workshop: Founder of Her Universe Ashley Eckstein takes a deep dive into the business behind some of your favorite brands. Joining Ashley will be Trevor Schultz (founder of Loungefly), Cindy Levitt (SVP of licensing/Hot Topic), Theresa Mercado (VP of product development/Hot Topic), and Professor Susan Scafidi (founder and director of the Fashion Law Institute at Fordham Law School).
- Behind the Design: Star Wars Fashion Collaborations: Star Wars has always been on the forefront of the “geek chic” fashion movement by bringing iconic characters and stories to life through the lens of modern fashion. Over the past decade, the portfolio of brand partnerships has grown significantly, allowing fans all over the world to celebrate their passion for the brand with more than just T-shirts. Get a behind-the-scenes look at the design and development process of Star Wars fashion and accessories with the creative leads of some of the most popular collaborations to date.
- Create Your Own Fandom-Themed Fashions: A panel of designers who have started their own fandom fashion lines will provide tips and tricks on how to upcycle, construct, and design your own fashion. You’ll have an opportunity to ask questions on how to craft your own clothes or create a small business. Panelists include Tony B. Kim (Hero Within), Jordan Ellis (Jordandene), Tiffany Mink (Whosits & Whatsits), Camille Falciola (Her Universe Fashion Show winner), Jesse Thaxton (Her Universe Fashion Show winner), Leetal Platt (Her Universe Fashion Show winner), and Linda Rhodes (1138 Clothing). Moderated by Stephanie Pressman (Fashionably Nerdy) and Samantha Mason (Fashionably Nerdy).
- Her Universe: It’s Your Universe: Ashley Eckstein (Her Universe, voice of Ahsoka Tano) and Amy Ratcliffe (author and journalist) discuss Eckstein’s new book, It’s Your Universe: You Have the Power to Make It Happen. Ashley will share her story and take fans through her step-by-step guide on how to make dreams come true.
While these panels aren’t Star Wars related, they include a few familiar faces.
- Once Upon a Forever: Panelists examine the enduring appeal of fairy tales and other classics of speculative fiction, and the important choices authors make in retelling them. Features E. K. Johnston (Star Wars Ahsoka).
- Destination Nerd: Anastasia Washington (Legion of Leia, Anastationtv) chats with the most jet-setting nerds around as they discuss fashion, travel tips, and how to find your ultimate nerd mecca wherever you go. Features Katie Elhoffer (Elhoffer Design).
- Psychology of Cult TV Shows: Episode 5: A team of actors, TV writers, and psychologists discuss the psychology of your favorite TV shows, such as Supernatural, Star Wars Rebels, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, Doctor Who, and many others. Features Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels).
- International Association of Media Tie-In Writers: Scribe Awards: Max Allan Collins (Mike Hammer) hosts this year’s Scribe Awards for excellence in tie-in writing. Features Christie Golden (Star Wars) and Cavan Scott (Star Wars).
- Skybound Entertainment: What’s Next: Skybound chairman Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead, Oblivion Song), CEO David Alpert (The Walking Dead franchise, Outcast), and Skybound North CEO and partner Catherine Winder (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics) discuss what’s next for the company behind building one of the most successful media franchises in pop culture history, The Walking Dead.
- Art & Arcana: The Visual History of Dungeons & Dragons: The author team of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History discuss the evolution of the game’s visuals from home-brew doodles to some of the greatest and most iconic art in the fantasy genre. Features Sam Witwer (Star Wars, Being Human).
- Star Wars Declassified: How a Galaxy Far, Far Away Impacts the World: Hosts R. A. Rayne and Kris Koller are joined by voice actor Eric Bauza (TMNT, LEGO Star Wars), Troy Manning (SoCal 501st Troop), Dan Madsen (Her Universe, Star Wars Insider) and J. C. Reifenberg (Scum & Villainy Cantina, Hughes The Force) to discuss how Star Wars and its fandom have impacted their personal lives, their professional lives, and society as a whole.
- Cartoon Voices II: Animation voice director Mark Evanier gathers another stageful of the top actors who speak for animated characters to demonstrate their skills. Features Kiff Vandenheuvel (Star Wars Forces of Destiny, World of Warcraft) and Vanessa Marshall (Star Wars Rebels, Young Justice).
- Powerful Young Women in Disney Comics: Disney Comics presents a look at recent and upcoming comics showcasing powerful female characters from Disney and Star Wars. Features Delilah S. Dawson (author, Star Wars Adventures,Star Wars Forces of Destiny) and Jody Houser (author, Star Wars Forces of Destiny).
- Steven Melching (Star Wars Rebels, The Clone Wars) will be on the following panels:
- Elsa Charretier (Star Wars Adventures) will be on the following panels:
Thank you for visiting TWG, where we provide news, reviews, and opinion pieces pertaining to the Star Wars animated shows! You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr. Send us news, tips, and inquiries here or visit our Contact page. Lastly, if you’re looking to add a few Star Wars podcasts to your playlist, check out our Podcasts page.